Sunday, April 29, 2007

Just When I Finally Start Getting Unemployment Checks!

The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania has selected me to participate in Pennsylvania's Profile Reemployment Program. This is not optional. If I don't go to the PREP Orientation/Assessment session, I might actually lose my benfits.

Here's the deal: I've been on the PA CareerLink website. They don't exactly have the kinds of jobs that I'm looking for. At all. A basic search for jobs in "Arts, Design, Entertainment, Sports, & Media," in Philadelphia, at the minimum salary I can make, actually yielded:

Job Search Results


Your search returned 0 matches.
Please click on 'Modify Search' to change your search criteria.


Similar results in the two or three other "occupational categories" that seemed like they might have jobs I wouldn't hate.

It might be pretentious of me. Hell, I know it's pretentious of me. But I graduated from one of the top schools in the country. With honors. And I somehow doubt that this PREP Orientation/Assessment is going to be much more than a waste of time.

4 comments:

sophiaruthmarie said...

Hi,

I just got selected for this program too and I really would prefer not to participate in it and find a job on my own. Im wondering what happened with you? Did you participate, if so what was it like and how much did it require of your time, if not did you lose your benefits? If you have a second to respond it would really be helpful to me as Im trying to figure out what to do. My email address is sophiaruthmarie@gmail.com

Hope to hear from you!

~Sophie

Jill said...

The program is a total waste of time, but they WILL suspend your benefits if you don't go. Bring a newspaper or a book of crosswords and just wait it out. But don't skip it.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Thank you for your post. Would you be able to let me know if this is a one-day orientation or if it's oongoing, with prarticipant having to return multiple times to the site?